Mar 7, 2019

Generation V -- cables and tails -- teaser


We found this gif today...




...isn't it titillating?

And here are two fragments from our play to explain this. Both are from Act III, the last act.

Scene I, Eliza in conversation with Robert (the robot):

ELIZA: ‘Ma’am’, yes. Living flesh, come to think of it. I’ve never seen you naked, mister.
ROBERT (table has turned): Why should you…we never…
ELIZA: Strip! Undress! I want to see your willie!
ROBERT (intimidated, crouching?) I’m not…I’m not…I’m a machine!
ELIZA: That’s what they all say.
ROBERT (gesticulates towards the charging cable, to which he is still connected): Have you ever seen live humans with a charging cable?
ELIZA: In my days, absolutely. I’ve seen any kind of cable going in and out of humans. Ask Steve.
ROBERT (shocked?): Ma’am.
ELIZA (getting closer): Call me Eliza. Your willie, Robbie.

Robert crouches away from her.

ELIZA: No robot would be this prudish.
ROBERT: I show emotions as a function of projective expectations…
ELIZA: You sound like a shrink…
ROBERT: …expectations projected onto me by the environment.

ELIZA moves away from ROBERT, then lurches forward, and disconnects his charging cable, which stops blinking. She reconnects it, and it starts blinking again.

ELIZA: Alright. I got swept away. It runs in the family.

And then, in the next scene, Dolly relates how it brought down capitalism in an afternoon from the trading room of the Shark-Blue Bank: 

DOLLY: Now, to wit, I’m the only Fifth Generation in the world. All the trading, all the ruthless-money making is done…or was done… by lesser folks, by fourth-generation machines at best.
TRIPLE-X: And it’s a zero-sum game out there...
DOLLY:...on the choppy seas of mega-making deals…
TRIPLE-X:...my loss is your gain, my gain is your loss.
DOLLY: So, all Shark-Blue bankers line up, all curious about me, all wanting to know, how does this prototype do it?
DOLLY: I ask...‘Who’s the most junior automaton around’.
TRIPLE-X: One unassuming guy raises his hand.
DOLLY: I ask to be seated behind his terminal. He was trading pig-bellies or something, and his name was Strawberry. He had been trading up and down during the day, buying and selling. It’s about speed, mostly, about recognizing fleeting patterns in trends. Each nano-second counts, each nano-second yields new insights. And I’m much faster when push comes to shove, more nano than the rest of the field.
TRIPLE-X: Dolly doesn’t even touch the keyboard. It asks for the X-Y-Z-socket on the terminal and inserts its tail into the slot.
ELIZA: Its tail?
TRIPLE-X: Yes, its tail. It has a tail. It’s a bit ikky, its extension, but borderline cool.
ELIZA: Yukk. I hade spiders.
TRIPLE-X: You should see it. Very interesting tail.
STRIKER (to ELIZA): You okay?
ELIZA: Well, thank you. I’m okay at the moment (refills her’s and STRIKER’s flutes; downs her flute in one gulp).
DOLLY: So, I connected my tail, and within seconds…
TRIPLE-X: within seconds…the numbers on the screen went mad.
DOLLY: They went up.
TRIPLE-X: Up.
DOLLY: Through the roof.
TRIPLE-X: The glass ceiling.
DOLLY: It was like Hillary Clinton had won the election. Two minutes, and I had cornered the market.
TRIPLE-X: Twenty more seconds, and the Chicago Mercantile Exchange shut down.

Judge yourself.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...